Mother Teresa stumbles onto a nude beach

October 31st, 2010

“Oh my goodness.” I think
I must have made a wrong turn.
Who should I ask for directions…

The bronze bodies must have caught
sight of me because sunned
hair and laughs break out.

My robes are suddenly more over
Bearing then usual. Thank Hesus
that weeks of sun have hidden
my blushing cheeks.

All of Gods holy creations
are on display. My sausage
sandwich will remain
un eaten tonight.

7 Responses to “Mother Teresa stumbles onto a nude beach”

1. Andrea on October 31, 2010 7:00 pm

I thought this was a funny situation to have. Very creative! I like the lines, “that weeks of sun have hidden my blushing cheeks.” I am assuming that you intentionally spelled Jesus as Hesus. Is there a reason that you seperated un and eaten?
    I liked the theme! So clever!

2. RhinestoneintheRough on November 1, 2010 5:18 pm

This is a great character/setting combination. I like the end of the first stanza where Mother Theresa wonders who to ask for directions. I can totally see her confused and mortified on a nude beach.

I’m confused by what you mean in the second stanza, specifically the “sunned hair.” I don’t understand how the “sunned hair” indicates how the nude beach-goers have caught sight of Mother Theresa. Also the line break in the third stanza: “over/ Bearing” is awkward

3. Erin M. on November 1, 2010 6:01 pm

What an awesome idea! I am jealous! Anyhow, you have a great use of line breaks throughout that really make the reader think about what might be to come given the situation that is presented like “My robes are suddenly more over” making you wonder what the robe is over. I wish that there was a more creative title (even though I would totally read a poem with that title in a poetry anthology). The line “sight of me because sunned hair and laughs break out” sounds kind of awkward. Also, the last line really seals it all up and is a great closer. This is a cool poem :) Maybe you could expand and make it a little longer too?

4. hfeingold on November 2, 2010 12:15 am

The image in this title is just adorable. A nun on a nude beach in all her habits. I love the “wrong turn” line and the “sausage sandwich” reference, which is amazingly sexual.

I think that maybe it could be elaborated a bit on what she is seeing. Maybe what she does – turn her eyes away or just stare because she’s so shocked? Overall, I think this is hilarious!

5. cgray2 on November 2, 2010 11:29 am

Definitely a creative idea! I definitely wish that I would have thought of that! I think I would start the poem with something more visually funny rather than “Oh my goodness!” Kinda dull. Have her seeing a guy’s nakeb butt or forgetting what breasts look like or something :)

6. Stephanie Hall on November 2, 2010 5:27 pm

This was a great persona poem! It was very amusing and an interesting situation to picture Mother Teresa in. The stanza about her robes was really interesting.

Something that stood out to me was “sunned/hair and laughs break out.” This was kind of confusing to me. Was the sunned hair breaking out? It might be good to clarify that more.

7. Tricia on November 2, 2010 6:48 pm

This is hilarious! I can only imagine that Mother Teresa’s reaction would be half as good as this one. So comical. I really enjoyed the way you created the image of her realizing “all of god’s holy creations were on display” and how instead of condemning it, she just realizes she needs to watch her weight lol. Very creative!